Comprehensive Sex Education and LGBT Indoctrination in Austin ISD
Upcoming Sex Ed Changes
- As of Summer 2019, AISD is currently in the process of writing and implementing a new, radical sex ed program that will start in Grade 3 for the upcoming year. The curriculum is not evidence based and is being written by District staff. The curriculum will need to be approved by the AISD Board before implementation.
- AISD was planning to use Planned Parenthood's Get Real CSE curriculum for middle school, but with the passage of SB22, which bars public agencies from procuring services and materials from abortion providers, the district has changed course and will write its own curriculum. It will likely be worse than Get Real in terms of content. For evidence of that, see the following proposed curriculum written by AISD staff:
- Proposed Sex Ed Curriculum documents
- Welcoming Schools anti-bullying program currently in 24 elementary schools. See here for the teacher training modules, which provide sample curricula for the teachers to use in the classroom. This program trains teachers to introduce homosexuality and gender variance to children as young as 4.
- Planned Parenthood Sex Education
- In May 2016, a handout was distributed by Planned Parenthood during health class in Covington Middle School, sending children to the following link about how to give consent to sex (YouTube): Planned Parenthood "Consent 101". The videos feature a straight, lesbian, and gay male couple who are about to have sex and need to decide what to do. According to the videos, the only factors important in this decisions are: 1. Do I feel comfortable having sex? and 2. Do I have protection? And the kicker is: Planned Parenthood itself states that these videos are geared toward older teens (we disagree that they would be appropriate for any age children) but they were given to 12-year-olds.
- Library materials - libraries offer sexually explicit books and many LGBT-themed books. Teachers were instructed during Welcoming Schools training to read some of these books during class time.
- Pride Week - AISD dedicates an entire week of school to celebrating LGBT lifestyles. Activities include cross-dressing throughout the week. According to the district website, "At campuses throughout the district, teachers can use LGBTQ-focused lessons and activities that engage, educate and inspire." This year's Pride Week will be the week of October 16. For a sample letter to have your child excused from Pride Week activities/lessons, see our Parent Action Guide page.
- Bathrooms - AISD policy FFH Local was updated in 2015 to prohibit discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation. Harassment against any and all persons should be prohibited. The problem with this policy is that it justifies allowing people with male genitalia into the girls' bathroom because not doing so could be seen as a form of discrimination. There are reports that some schools are already allowing students who are male-to-female transgender into the girls' bathrooms. Parents must find out the individual campus policy on this issue if they want to ensure their daughters are safe in bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers.